Looking for last-minute-inspiration for a baked treat for Mother’s Day?
Why not give these fruity Mook & Lulu Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes a try? There’s still time to nip out and pick up the ingredients and you can whip them up in no time at all.
You will need:
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 100g of blueberries
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp full-fat milk
- 50ml sunflower oil
For the lemon buttercream icing
- 250g icing sugar
- zest of one unwaxed lemon
- 80g butter
- 3 tbsp full-fat milk
How to make the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. We used tulip cake cases from John Lewis
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar, lemon zest and blueberries
- Make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs with a whisk in a separate bowl, then beat in the buttermilk, milk and oil until well mixed. Stir into the flour mix with a metal spoon, until just combined.
- Quickly divide among the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 16-18 minutes until golden and clean to the skewer test. Transfer to a wire rack to cool
To make the buttercream icing
Mix the icing sugar butter and lemon zest in a freestanding food mixer or food processor. Slowly add the milk on a slow speed until you have a smooth creamy icing.
Pipe onto your cooled cupcakes and decorate with blueberries.
Try to keep the kids away from them until you have the chance to give them to their intended recipient!